Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Let's Talk Pumpkins!






Well, it's getting to be that time of year, pumpkin carving time! I thought I would talk about what you can do with your pumpkins and some tips I have learned!

First of all, did you know that when you carve you pumpkins, if you smear petroleum jelly, you know Vaseline,  all over every cut part of the pumpkin, it will stay nice for much longer than if you don't? We have done this and had our jack o lanterns for at least a week before they started to get mushy! I love that!


After we cut our pumpkins and get all of the seeds out, I rinse the seeds really well and put some oil and seasoning on them or salt and roast them in the oven. We love them and there is never enough! My kids and hubby fight over them! Here are a few recipe ideas:


Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds with Sugar and Spice

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


I haven't tried it yet but have been told my numerous people that you can chunk up your pumpkin, microwave it until soft, pull the skin off, puree the pulp and use it in pies, soups, cookies, whatever you would use canned pumpkin in. I may try this this year but you don't want to add in the petroleum jelly coated parts! Here are a few interesting looking recipes!




Pumpkin Casserole

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

 

 All in all, you can use just about the whole pumpkin! You can save some seeds to plant next year if you have a LOT of room for pumpkins to grow, they take up so much space!

What kinds of things do you do with yours? Any other tips? Feel free to share!


Happy Halloween!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment